Autumn means dog walks in the dark. According to Agria, at least one dog every day is killed by traffic. This could often have been avoided simply by using a reflector.
REFLECTORS FOR DOGS AND OWNERS SO YOU LIGHT UP IN THE DARK
- A reflector lasts for about three years. Test the reflectors at home and see if they’re still visible from a distance. Buy new reflectors for you and your dog if the old ones aren’t working.
- You should wear a reflector on a part of your body that moves, preferably on the bottom half of your body, because dipped headlights shine lower than full beam headlights.
- Use lights and reflectors on your dog. The lights should flash. Then your dog will be visible in both bright and dark conditions. This helps you see your dog if they’re not on a lead.
- If your dog has a thick coat it’s best to use a reflector vest instead of a collar.
- Remember that a reflector vest is only visible from the side and not from the front or back.
- Remember to use a reflector yourself! You’ll be most visible with a reflector vest and light.
Take care in the dark – make sure both you and your dog wear reflectors. Remember that you’re not fully visible even in twilight.